How to Use Properties in OnTask
Within OnTask, properties are an important element for keeping your workflow organized. After a property has been specified, it can be referenced later in the workflow. For example if you collect a customer’s name from a form, you can add a step later to send out an email and pull in the customer property information to populate the email.
What is a Property?
A property is an attribute that can be used to reference something within your workflow. For example, if you have an email field in one of your customer-facing forms, you can give this property a name of “Customer Email”. This is how it will be referred to throughout the rest of your workflow. All data collected within OnTask’s forms and documents can have property names assigned to them.
Creating & Assigning Properties:
- Click into any step of your workflow containing fields (these are usually present in steps with documents or forms for participants to fill out). You can also create a new step in your workflow and add properties while editing.
- After you’ve clicked into the step you want to work on, click into the field you wish to edit.
- Once chosen, you will see an area on the right-hand side under the field label titled “Property Name” with a small lock next to it.
- Click the lock to make changes.
- Next, add the name of your property. We recommend keeping this simple and easy to remember to be useful later in your workflow. For example, a customer email field could be assigned the property name of “customer_email”.
- After you’ve named the property, click the lock again to ensure no further changes are made.
- Now, you can use this property in subsequent steps in your workflow.
Watch this quick demo on how to use properties in OnTask.